This colorful Red White and Green Salad features strawberries and sweet red pepper (red), feta cheese and slivered almonds (white), and nutrient-rich baby spinach tossed with a citrus-strawberry vinaigrette… A perfect salad for your Cinco de Mayo table, and simple enough for any day of the week!
Cinco de Mayo has come to represent a celebration of the contributions that Mexican Americans and all Hispanics have made to America.
~~ Joe Baca, American politician.
Why Red White and Green?
I find it amusing that so many people think Cinco de Mayo is actually a Mexican holiday/celebration. It is not Mexico’s Independence Day (like our July 4th), nor is it really celebrated in Mexico. Cinco de Mayo commemorates the victory of the Mexican army over the French army May 5, 1862 in the Battle of Puebla.
In the United States, though, Cinco de Mayo has become a celebration of Mexican culture, heritage, food, margaritas ( 😆 ), all things Mexican. Given that I was born in southern California, and have spent nearly half of my life literally on “the border,” I have a deep love and respect for the people, their food, their music, their love of God and family…
So, when I contemplated whether or not to do a Cinco de Mayo post, it was with the mindset that this is an American holiday that celebrates Mexico. If you google “red, white, and blue salads,” you will come up with 29,000,000 results. If you google “red, white, and green salads,” you will find only a few (and those are likely to be Christmas salads). So, in honor of my readers that want to add a healthy salad with colors of the Mexican flag to your Cinco de Mayo table, I’ve created a salad with harmonious flavors that will brighten up that plate of Pressure Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork and Mexican Cilantro Rice.
Red White and Green Salad with Citrus-Strawberry Vinaigrette
This salad is beyond simple to make, but you’ll love the combination of salty feta, sweet strawberries, crunchy toasted almonds, and the tangy Citrus-Strawberry Vinaigrette. Keep in mind this vinaigrette can be used on other salads as well! One of these days, I’ll finish my eBook of salad dressing recipes that I’ve had “in process” for a couple of years…
Without further ado, get your personal blender out, a good-sized salad bowl, and a cutting board and knife. You’ll have this made in no time!
- 1 pound ripe apricots, halved lengthwise and pitted
- 3/4 cup dry rose wine see notes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 3- by 1-inch orange zest (removed with a vegetable peeler)
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thai basil, chopped see notes
- Add prepared apricots, rose wine, sugar, water, orange juice, and zest, and a pinch of salt to a heavy medium saucepan and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apricots fall apart, about 25 minutes.
- Discard zest. Pour mixture into a deep mixing bowl, and allow it to cool. Purée using an immersion blender (see notes) until very smooth. Force purée through a fine-mesh sieve or strainer into a bowl, discarding any solids. Stir in fresh orange juice.
- Chill, covered, until cold, at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (See notes). Add chopped basil.
- Freeze purée in ice cream maker, then transfer sorbet to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, or serve immediately.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place 2 rounded scoops into each glass. Garnish with a basil sprig if desired.
A sweet wine will mess with this recipe and make it too sweet! Choose a dry unoaked white if you can't find a rose.
Thai basil has a distinct anise or licorice scent and taste that pairs beautifully with the apricots. Regular basil will do in a pinch, or even fresh mint.
If you don't have an immersion blender (you need one!), puree in a blender, but cool it first!
Peaches and nectarines will also be great in this recipe!
I sometimes chill the puree in my freezer to chill which cuts the time in half.
Calories are an approximation only from MyFitnessPal.com
- Mr. Freeze EIM-550 Maxi-Matic 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker with Compressor, White/Chrome
- Tovolo Tight-Fitting, Stack-Friendly, Sweet Treat Ice Cream Tub, Pistachio
- SUMO Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop: Spade Easily Scoops Any Ice Cream with No-Slip Rubber Handle – Ergonomic Cookie Dough & Icecream Scoop – Dishwasher Safe Commercial Ice Cream Scooper, Green
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 190
Disclaimer: I may receive monetary and/or product compensation in the process of developing recipes and bringing them to you. I will never promote a supplier or product I do not enthusiastically support! This helps to offset the costs of my blog. 🙂