This colorful Mexican Flag Salad with Spinach Strawberries and Feta features strawberries and sweet red pepper (red), feta cheese and slivered almonds (white), and nutrient-rich baby spinach tossed with a citrus-strawberry vinaigrette... A perfect salad for your Cinco de Mayo table, and simple enough for any day of the week!
Cinco de Mayo has come to represent a celebration of the contributions that Mexican Americans and all Hispanics have made to America.~~ Joe Baca, American politician.
🥗 Tamara Talks - Recipe Inspiration and Cinco de Mayo
I find it amusing that so many people think Cinco de Mayo is actually a Mexican holiday/celebration. It is not Mexico's Independence Day (like our July 4th), nor is it really celebrated in Mexico. Cinco de Mayo commemorates the victory of the Mexican army over the French army May 5, 1862 in the Battle of Puebla.
In the United States, though, Cinco de Mayo has become a celebration of Mexican culture, heritage, food, margaritas ( 😆 ), all things Mexican. Given that I was born in southern California, and have spent nearly half of my life literally on "the border," I have a deep love and respect for the people, their food, their music, their love of God and family...
So, when I contemplated whether or not to do a Cinco de Mayo post, it was with the mindset that this is an American holiday that celebrates Mexico. If you google "red, white, and blue salads," you will come up with 29,000,000 results. If you google "red, white, and green salads," you will find only a few (and those are likely to be Christmas salads). So, in honor of my readers that want to add a healthy salad with colors of the Mexican flag to their Cinco de Mayo tables, I've created a Mexican flag salad with harmonious flavors that will brighten up that plate of Pressure Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork and Mexican Cilantro Rice.
📋 Ingredients You'll Need
Citrus-Strawberry Vinaigrette Ingredients
- ¼ cup fresh orange, blood orange, or Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 whole strawberries
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste
- several grinds pepper
Spinach Salad Ingredients
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 dry pint strawberries, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced thin
- 5 ounces feta, small dice
- ½ cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
This salad is beyond simple to make, but you'll love the combination of salty feta, sweet strawberries, crunchy toasted almonds, and the tangy citrus-strawberry vinaigrette. Keep in mind this vinaigrette can be used on other salads as well! One of these days, I'll finish my eBook of salad dressing recipes that I've had "in process" for a couple of years...
- Make the vinaigrette - Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a blender. Blend until very smooth. Set aside until ready to toss the salad and serve. (See photos).
- Arrange the salad - To arrange salad as shown in top photo: Cover the salad bowl or platter with about ½ the spinach. On the right ⅓, arrange the strawberries and red pepper strips. On the middle ⅓, arrange the feta and almonds. On the left ⅓, arrange the remaining spinach. See top photo for reference.
- Serve - Either pour the vinaigrette into a cruet and serve on the side, or toss with the salad before serving. Enjoy!
Without further ado, get your personal blender out, a good-sized salad bowl, and a cutting board and knife. You'll have this made in no time!
🧂 Useful Stuff
Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. This helps to offset the costs of maintaining my blog and creating awesome content! 😊