Instant Pot Cauliflower Mash with Roasted Garlic is a delicious and simple side dish that pairs beautifully with elegant holiday dishes like this sous vide duck breast and this pork tenderloin. It is equally appropriate with a weeknight meal like braised chicken and plums. Just a few ingredients - cauliflower, a garlic bulb, broth or stock, plain Greek yogurt, and (optional but delicious!) butter and a few active minutes are all you need to get it on the table!
👩🏻🍳 Tamara Talks - Recipe Inspiration
In February of 2018, my special Valentine's Day main dish recipe was an elegant sous vide duck breasts with an orange chocolate sauce reminiscent of a Mexican mole. At the time, I served the duck breasts with this cauliflower mash, and included the recipe in the same post. Well, it turns out the google gods don't like 2 recipes in one post, and I'm finally getting around to posting this delicious and low carb side dish in a stand alone post.
📋 Ingredients You'll Need
Here is a quick look at the ingredients in the recipe – it’s handy to use at the grocery store or as a summary of what you need. Skip to the recipe for quantities.
- cauliflower - My recipe calls for 2 average heads of cauliflower. An "average" cauliflower weights about 2 pounds, and yields about 1 ¼ pounds of cauliflower florets. Precision is not important with this recipe.
- butter - If you're using salted butter, you'll want to taste before adding the additional salt!
- fresh herbs - I have fresh herbs in my garden, and really like rosemary and sage in this recipe. Parsley and thyme are good options as well!
- roasted garlic - I use Roasted Garlic from Simply Recipes to get the job done!
- plain Greek yogurt
- broth - On photo day, I used chicken broth. If you follow a plant-based diet, use a good quality vegetable broth, or this homemade mushroom broth for a bit of umami.
- sea salt
I don't use my Instant Pot for everything, but I do like the ability to "set it and forget it" when I'm putting a holiday/special occasion meal together. The Instant Pot allows that. If you prefer to cook the cauliflower on the stove, it's an easy change. Cook the cauliflower until it's tender. Keep an eye on the pot, though, and add broth or water as necessary!
- Pressure cook the cauliflower - Add the cauliflower florets to the Instant Pot along with the roasted garlic, broth, water, and salt. Lock the lid, and set to 7 minutes. The unit will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. When the time is up, do a quick pressure release. (Be careful!)
- Purée the cauliflower - Add the cooked cauliflower, with roasted garlic, and liquid to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Finish the cauliflower mash - Add the Greek yogurt, butter, and coarsely chopped herbs. Pulse until thoroughly combined. NOTE: Add additional broth as needed to achieve a creamy consistency.
- To serve - Scoop the puréed cauliflower mixture into a serving bowl. Finish with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of fresh herbs as desired.
An average head of cauliflower weighs about 2 pounds, and yields about 1 ¼ pounds of florets. Exact amounts are not important for success of this recipe, but it is good to be in the ballpark!
Most produce sections now carry bags of cauliflower florets. They are a great shortcut!
Roasted garlic is super simple to make! I've used this Roasted Garlic "recipe" for years with great success. Roast the entire bulb, and use all the cloves. Trust me, the extra step is worth your time, and the mild, nutty flavor of the roasted garlic elevates the dish!
Seasoning the cauliflower is an important step! If using salted broth or stock, you may not need any, and you can skip the additional salt in the pressure cooker, and check for seasoning at the end.
Keep warm until ready to serve. Scoop the mashed cauliflower into an ovenproof dish, cover with foil, and put in the oven at about 275° until ready to serve. Finish with a pat of butter and fresh herbs.
YES! It can be made about 3 days ahead of time! Store it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. Reheat it over low heat on the cooktop, and add in more butter if desired. You may want to garnish with some more fresh herbs to brighten up the bowl.
If you have any left over, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, and in an airtight freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw completely before reheating over low heat.
If you're making the full recipe (about 4 pounds of whole cauliflower), you'll want to use 2 ½ to 3 pounds of florets.
The herbs from the classic song Scarborough Faire of course! Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme in any combination!
As I finish this recipe on December 22 of 2021, I have a package of frozen cauliflower mash with roasted garlic ready for Christmas dinner. We're at a little historic adobe in Alpine, TX. with a very basic kitchen. I already have 1 dish out of the way!
Instant Pot Cauliflower Mash with Roasted Garlic
- 2 heads cauliflower about 4 pounds; woody parts removed and cut in chunks
- 1 bulb garlic roasted; see Tips in post
- ½ cup broth or stock see Ingredients in post
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt +/- if using salted broth or stock, season last!
- ⅓ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs coarsely chopped
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper season to taste
- Add the cauliflower florets to the Instant Pot along with the roasted garlic, broth, water, and salt. Lock the lid, and set to 7 minutes. When the time is up, do a quick pressure release.
- Add the cooked cauliflower with roasted garlic and liquid to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the Greek yogurt, butter, and coarsely chopped herbs. Pulse until thoroughly combined. Add more broth as needed to achieve a creamy consistency.
- Scoop the puréed cauliflower mixture into a serving bowl. Finish with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of fresh herbs as desired.
NOTE: Macronutrients are an approximation only using unbranded ingredients and MyFitnessPal.com. Please do your own research with the products you’re using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.