A healthy new spin on the classic "bean salad," Grilled Veggie Salad with White Beans combines prized heirloom flageolet beans (or other white beans) with grilled summer vegetables, capers, and a tangy anchovy and dijon Provençal-style vinaigrette. This veggie bean salad is sure to liven up your summer menu!
👩🏻🍳 Tamara Talks - What are Flageolet Beans?
Have you even heard of flageolet beans? In the US, they're fairly obscure and difficult to find, making them a perfect "target" for this food blogger! You know I have a penchant for playing with unusual ingredients? In addition to bringing you a delicious new veggie bean salad recipe, I plan to tell you everything you need to know about flageolet beans (and some you don't need to know 😉 )...
Flageolet beans - aka "caviar beans" - are tiny, tender, robust beans that originated in France. This French bush type bean has an inedible pod with small kidney shaped beans. The beans (seeds) may range in color from white to yellow to black. The most prized, however, are the flageolet vert or green flageolet.
The beans can occasionally be found fresh in summer, and if you are lucky enough to find them fresh, they may remind you of fresh limas. They can be fresh-frozen and treated like peas. Most commonly, though, you will find them dried.
Flageolet beans pair really well with lamb, and they're awesome in cassoulet. You'll find they work well in any recipe specifying white beans (navy, cannelini, great northern). You'll find white beans in my Instant Pot Cannelini Beans with Penne, Baby Kale, and Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Tuscan Fish with Cannelini Beans, Tomatoes, and Spinach, and Make-Ahead Pressure Cooker Cassoulet. Try flageolet beans in any (or all 🙂 ) of them!
Keep in mind that if you cannot get the flageolets, any white bean is an excellent substitution. This recipe works well with cannelini, navy, baby lima beans, etc.
📋 Ingredients Notes
Here is a quick look at the ingredients in the recipe – it’s handy to use at the grocery store or as a summary of what you need. Skip to the recipe for quantities.
Beans and Grilled Vegetables
- cooked white beans - As I mentioned above, I created this grilled veggie salad with white beans specifically for heirloom flageolet beans . Feel free to substitute any cooked white bean - cannelini, navy, great northern, limas.
- zucchini or yellow squash
- tiny tomatoes
- sweet or red onion
- red, orange, or yellow bell pepper
- lemon - You'll need both the zest and the juice.
- vinegar - I like white wine vinegar for this vinaigrette, but you can substitute champagne, rice, sherry, etc.
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic - I especially love roasted garlic for this
- anchovies - This is ingredient is optional (in case you despise anchovies or follow a vegan diet). However, anchovies are a key Provençal ingredient. I use 1 anchovy filet or 1 ½ teaspoons of the paste. The anchovy paste isn't just anchovy, so it requires a bit more.
- mustard - Dijon mustard is my "go to" mustard for this vinaigrette, but a brown or stoneground mustard is fine.
- sugar - I'm a fan of turbinado sugar, but white or brown is fine.
- fresh herbs - Think "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme." Chives are good as well.
- Prepare the flageolet beans (or other white beans) by your preferred method, or use well-rinsed canned beans.
- Grill the vegetables - Add the eggplant, zucchini or yellow squash, tomatoes, and onion to a grill basket. Grill over medium high until tender with nice grill marks.
- Prepare the bell pepper - Char the red bell pepper (unless you're using one from a jar). Remove the charred skin, stem, and seeds, then slice.
- Prepare the vinaigrette - Add all dressing ingredients to a small blender or processor. Blend well. Taste for seasoning. (This is SO IMPORTANT!).
- Assemble the salad - Add all bean salad ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add the vinaigrette as per your preference. Garnish with lemon slices and additional herbs as desired.
Cooking the flageolet (or other) beans - I highly recommend using your pressure cooker/Instant Pot. I don't pre-soak. The "jury" is out on this, but I'm ALWAYS happy with the results. I cook the entire bag
of whatever beans I'm cooking because I LOVE having them in the refrigerator or freezer for later use. They beat canned beans hands down. Flageolet beans require about 25 minutes under pressure, and 10 minutes to de-pressurize. Keep in mind, the Instant Pot/pressure cooker will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, making it a total of 45 minutes+/-.
Cook larger quantities of beans, and freeze some for future use. Cooked dried beans are superior to canned in both taste and texture.
Do I have to add anchovies?
I keep both good quality olive oil packed anchovies and anchovy paste on hand. I love the salty, umami flavor they bring to anything, but especially dressings! Omit if you hate them, but it's actually a subtle way to use them.
Do I have to start with dried beans?
NOPE. If you just can't start with dried beans, rinse a couple of cans of beans. Whisk together that
amazing vinaigrette, prep the veggies, and get your partner to grill them. 😀 Haha. That's what I do. 😉 Then toss it all together in a bowl.
Are there any shortcuts for this flageolet bean salad?
Canned beans obviously cut the time substantially. Make sure you rinse and drain well. I prefer to char my own red bell pepper, but piquillo or roasted red peppers in a jar are definitely a fine substitute. Capers are a must in this recipe, so
pretty please don't omit them. ANCHOVIES. This is a Provençal dish, and the flavor of the anchovies, lemon, and herbs are imperative. I hope you'll include the anchovies in the vinaigrette!
What other kinds of beans can I use?
Cooked navy beans, cannelini beans, great northern beans, lima beans are great substitutions for flageolet beans!
How long can I store my salad?
It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a week. I do not recommend freezing it.
🍷 Pairing Suggestions
This hearty, healthy summer salad is a light meal on its own with crusty bread. Pair it with this Grilled Lemon Garlic Shrimp or this Cornell chicken. We love it with simple grilled fish after a successful fishing trip at the Laguna Madre in south Texas!
At Andersen casa, we're always looking for fresh, healthy dishes... In the summer, we avoid over-heating the kitchen. This grilled vegetable and white bean salad is a favorite. I hope you'll give it a try!
Grilled Veggie Salad with White Beans
Beans and Grilled Vegetables (Salad Ingredients)
- 3-4 cups cooked flageolet or other white beans - (see notes)
- 2 cups cubed eggplant - (see notes)
- 2 cups zucchini or yellow squash - halved lengthwise and cut in ¾" slices
- 1 cup tiny tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet or red onion - cut in wedges
- 1 red bell pepper - charred, peeled, stem and seeds removed, cut in strips
- 3 tablespoons capers
- sea salt/fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon - juice and zest
- white wine vinegar - enough to bring lemon juice to ¼ cup
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic - I especially love roasted garlic for this
- 1-2 anchovies - optional, see notes, or a squeeze of anchovy paste (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- ¼ cup fresh herbs - thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil, chives
- sea salt/fresh ground pepper - season to taste
- Prepare the beans if they're not yet prepared.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini or yellow squash, tomatoes, and onion to a grill basket. Grill over medium high until tender with nice grill marks.
- Char the red bell pepper (unless you're using one from a jar). Remove the charred skin, stem, and seeds, then slice.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small blender or processor. Blend vinaigrette well. Taste for seasoning. (This is SO IMPORTANT!).
- Add all bean salad ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add the vinaigrette as per your preference. Garnish with lemon slices and additional herbs as desired.
NOTE: Macronutrients are an approximation only using unbranded ingredients and MyFitnessPal.com. Please do your own research with the products you’re using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.
Suzanne Wiersema-Menard says
We enjoyed this very much. I had no anchovies, so added a bit of Asian fish sauce. The other adaptations were to grill peppers along with the rest of the veggies and toss the tomatoes on the last couple minutes. I used a combination of fresh rosemary, thyme, basil, and parsley for the dressing. I used my instant pot to cook the dried flageolets and will up the cooking time from 20 min/natural release to 22 min/natural release in the future.
Thanks for taking time to provide feedback Suzanne! I typically respond more quickly, but we've been on vacation out of state, and I tried to put work aside. I love the way you adapted the recipe to what you had on hand. Using fish sauce was a genius substitution! I need to not that in the recipe... I'm always afraid of mushy beans, and I know every package of dried beans is different. If you think about it, let me know your results with 22 minutes. Thanks again!
What a beautiful dish! I've only had dried flageolet beans, unfortunately. They look so beautiful fresh. Such great flavors and textures here. Perfect for summer!
Thank you Mimi! It is a lovely dish for summer with all of the fresh vegetables that work well on the grill...