A complex and delicious sipper, Blood Orange Mezcal Negroni might rock your world. 😉 Mezcal, Campari, blood orange cordial, and fresh lime juice shaken with ice and strained into a smoked salt rimmed rocks glass!
Don’t let the gorgeous hue of this Blood Orange Mezcal Negroni fool you! This is not a cocktail for lightweights, nor is it simple, straightforward, or sweet. I love alliteration. 🙂
Prior to moving to McAllen, Texas in 2015, tequila didn’t really interest me, and I’d never even heard of mezcal. I’m a martini girl (since before I was legal), and I love good gin. Case in point: Ginger Hibiscus Martini, Orange Vesper Martini, Lemon Cucumber Martini with Fresh Basil, and Apple and Sage Martini. These are my recipes on my blog. Lol.
Tequila is a way of life in south Texas – especially given that we are only a few miles from Mexico… I started playing with tequila, and I brought you An Exotic Tropical Margarita, a Savory Margarita, and most recently, a Tequila Cocktail with Blood Orange and Pomegranate.
Given my propensity for complex flavors, it was only a matter of time before I introduced myself to mezcal. Wow. The smokiness of this agave-based spirit speaks to me! If you’re interested in learning more about this complex spirit, check out Beyond Tequila: Alternative Agave Spirits to Know!
We (hubby Mark and I) had a couple of epic fails in the process of figuring out how to mix a mezcal cocktail. We won’t discuss those today… However, this combination just works. It is so well-balanced!
Ingredients in Blood Orange Mezcal Negroni
- Made from a variety of agaves (unlike tequila which is made from Blue Weber agave)
- Majority of mezcal is made in Oaxaca, Mexico
- Colors range from clear to light gold to amber
- Agave hearts are charred, and roasted in deep pits called “palenques”
- The smokiness the charring imparts may remind you of Scotch, but it is unique
- Campari is considered an “apéritif”
- It is an infusion of bitter herbs, aromatics, and fruit in alcohol and water
- Its color is brilliant red (much like blood orange)
- While bitterness is a major flavor, it is a little sweet, fruity, and citrus-y as well
- Campari is an iconic before meal sipper
- The Negroni is a classic cocktail that includes gin and Campari (and I adore them!)
- Blood Orange Cordial
- Blood orange cordial is basically a simple syrup with blood orange – both juice and zest
- The cordial is great in both cocktails and non-alcoholic beverages
- You can make your own, or purchase it ready-made
- Fresh Lime Juice (do you need this explained?)
- Smoked Sea Salt (optional)
Making the Blood Orange Mezcal Negroni
If you’ve chosen to make the blood orange cordial, make it first, and allow it to cool completely. Squeeze the lime juice. Add ice to your shaker.
Set your glasses and ingredients out. Add the mezcal, Campari, blood orange cordial, and fresh lime juice to the shaker (with ice!). Shake vigorously.
If choosing to rim your glasses with smoked sea salt, do that now. Add ice to your rocks glasses. We love using a single cube. but that is totally optional.
Playing with cocktails isn’t “healthy” in a strict sense, but it “sparks joy” (quoting Marie Kondo), so I submit it can be healthy… All things in moderation!
P.S. Click here for a “how to” video on making Blood Orange Cordial!
- 4 ounces mezcal (see notes)
- 2 ounces Campari
- 2 ounces blood orange cordial (purchased or recipe below)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
Blood Orange Cordial
- Blood Orange Cordial
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 blood oranges, zest and juice
- apple wood smoked salt
- blood orange slices
- Add mezcal, Campari, blood orange cordial, and fresh lime juice to a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into rocks glasses with ice.
- Garnish as desired
You need to allow about 30 minutes if you're making the blood orange cordial. You can buy it on Amazon if you prefer.
I keep an array of artisan salts in my well-stocked pantry, and that includes apple wood smoked salt.
I have a "how to" video on making a Blood Orange Cordial, or you can buy a commercial one (see "Recommended Products" below).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Mason Jar 4-Piece Set Cocktail Shaker Set, - Wood Muddler - 33 Once Glass Pitcher - Stainless Spoon. Bar Tool Set by HC
- Blood Orange Cordial (9.5 oz)
- Rocks Glasses by The Elite Core (Made in USA) - Set of 2, Large 14oz Whiskey Glasses, Square Based Glassware for Scotch & Bourbon
- SaltWorks Yakima, Applewood Smoked Sea Salt, Artisan Zip-Top Pouch, 3 Ounce
- OXO SteeL Double Jigger
- OXO Good Grips Citrus Squeezer (Color May Vary)
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 326