A complex and delicious sipper, Blood Orange Mezcal Negroni might rock your world.😉Mezcal, Campari, blood orange cordial, and fresh lime juice shaken with ice and strained into a smoked salt rimmed rocks glass!
👩🏻🍳 Tamara Talks - Cocktail Inspiration
Don't let the gorgeous hue of this mezcal cocktail fool you! This is not a cocktail for lightweights, nor is it simple, straightforward, or sweet. I love alliteration. 🙂
Prior to moving to McAllen, Texas in 2015, tequila didn't really interest me, and I'd never even heard of mezcal. I'm a martini girl (since before I was legal), and I love good gin. Case in point: Ginger Hibiscus Martini, Orange Vesper Martini, Lemon Cucumber Martini with Fresh Basil, and Apple and Sage Martini. These are my recipes on my blog. Lol.
Tequila is a way of life in south Texas - especially given that we are only a few miles from Mexico... I started playing with tequila, and I brought you An Exotic Tropical Margarita, a Savory Margarita, and most recently, a Tequila Cocktail with Blood Orange and Pomegranate.
Given my propensity for complex flavors, it was only a matter of time before I introduced myself to mezcal. Wow. The smokiness of this agave-based spirit speaks to me! If you're interested in learning more about this complex spirit, check out Beyond Tequila: Alternative Agave Spirits to Know!
We (hubby Mark and I) had a couple of epic fails in the process of figuring out how to mix a mezcal cocktail. We won't discuss those today... However, this combination just works. It is so well-balanced!
🍹 Cocktail Ingredients
- Made from a variety of agaves (unlike tequila which is made from Blue Weber agave)
- Majority of mezcal is made in Oaxaca, Mexico
- Colors range from clear to light gold to amber
- Agave hearts are charred, and roasted in deep pits called "palenques"
- The smokiness the charring imparts may remind you of Scotch, but it is unique
- Campari is considered an "apéritif"
- It is an infusion of bitter herbs, aromatics, and fruit in alcohol and water
- Its color is brilliant red (much like blood orange)
- While bitterness is a major flavor, it is a little sweet, fruity, and citrus-y as well
- Campari is an iconic before meal sipper
- The Negroni is a classic cocktail that includes gin and Campari (and I adore them!)
- Blood orange cordial is basically a simple syrup with blood orange - both juice and zest
- The cordial is great in both cocktails and non-alcoholic beverages
- You can make your own, or purchase it ready-made
- Fresh Lime Juice (do you need this explained?)
- Smoked Sea Salt (optional)
If you've chosen to make the blood orange cordial, make it first, and allow it to cool completely. Squeeze the lime juice. Add ice to your shaker.
If choosing to rim your glasses with smoked sea salt, do that now. Add ice to your rocks glasses. We love using a single cube. but that is totally optional.
- Add mezcal, Campari, blood orange cordial, and fresh lime juice to a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into rocks glasses with ice.
- Garnish as desired
If you don't wish to make your own blood orange cordial, you can find blood orange cordial here.
A negroni is a classic cocktail that includes gin and Campari. This mezcal would be considered by some (including me) to be a negroni variant, and I included it in the title to help people find it that love Campari.
Playing with cocktails isn't "healthy" in a strict sense, but it "sparks joy" (quoting Marie Kondo), so I submit it can be healthy... All things in moderation! If you love mezcal, and want more mezcal cocktail recipes, be sure to check out this tamarind mezcal mule.
P.S. Click here for a "how to" video on making Blood Orange Cordial!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase through a link on Beyond Mere Sustenance, it costs you nothing but allows me to continue to provide quality content at no cost to you. Sounds like a win-win. 😊
Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. This helps to offset the costs of maintaining my blog and creating awesome content! 😊