A honey, fresh lime juice, cumin, and chipotle glaze gives my tender Chipotle Honey Lime Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash a sweet/spicy/savory combination of flavors that is irresistible!
I love, love, love winter squash! I have always dreaded breaking them down. My husband and I joke about needing a huge meat cleaver or a brawny husband. 😯 Butternut squash defies the strength of this slightly built but muscular and fit 57 year-old woman… I always feel like I’m fighting a battle, and I don’t always win. Enter delicata squash. This little winter squash packs all the sweet flavor of its cucurbita cousin, but this lovely squash yields to the knife – not requiring the cleaver or the hubbie – hence its name!
You can’t just eat good food. You’ve got to talk about it too. And you’ve got to talk about it to somebody who understands that kind of food.
~~ Kurt Vonnegut, Jailbird
Chipotle Honey Lime Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash is a side dish I created to pair with my Mexican Spiced Pork Chops With Salsa Verde and Cotija. I am on a quest to create healthy Mexican recipes given that I have lived on the border for the past 23 years, and so much of the Mexican food available is not very healthy. I have also discovered it is not terribly representative of what Mexicans actually eat. This dish combines very typical Mexican ingredients – lime juice and zest, ground cumin, and chipotle powder – with honey to make a sweet/spicy/savory glaze for the roasted squash. A little chopped fresh cilantro finishes it off… It takes about 10 minutes to prep (and no kitchen battle), and about 20 to 25 minutes to roast to perfection! Simply slice off the stem, slice in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and then slice in half moons. Toss with olive oil, and roast brushing with glaze. When caramelized, garnish with cilantro. I hope you’ll give it a try. 🙂
More Healthy Mexican Recipes:
- Mexican Spiced Pork Chops With Salsa Verde and Cotija
- Mexican Fried Rice With Chaya and Ground Pork
- Mexican Fish In Parchment
- Mexican Green Chile and Shrimp Pizza
- About 2 pounds delicata squash
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- a handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (400 convection).
- Remove the stem end. Slice in half lengthwise.Scoop out the seeds.
- Slice in 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices.
- Drizzle the sliced squash with olive oil. Toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Place in the preheated oven.
- Whisk together the honey, cumin, chipotle chile powder, garlic, salt, lime juice and zest.
- After about 10 minutes, brush with the glaze. Stir. Repeat after 20 minutes.
- Cook squash until caramelized and tender when pierced with a fork (25-30 minutes).
- Brush with any remaining glaze, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 128 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 384mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g