A honey, fresh lime juice, cumin, and chipotle glaze gives my tender Chipotle Honey Lime Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash a sweet/spicy/savory combination of flavors that is irresistible! A side dish elegant enough for your holiday table, and easy enough for a weeknight dinner!
I love, love, love winter squash! I have always dreaded breaking them down. My husband and I joke about needing a huge meat cleaver or a brawny husband. 😯 Butternut squash defies the strength of this slightly built but muscular and fit 57 year-old woman…
I always feel like I’m fighting a battle, and I don’t always win. Enter delicata squash. This little winter squash packs all the sweet flavor of its cucurbita cousin, but this lovely squash yields to the knife – not requiring the cleaver or the hubbie – hence its name!
You can’t just eat good food. You’ve got to talk about it too. And you’ve got to talk about it to somebody who understands that kind of food.
~~ Kurt Vonnegut, Jailbird
Chipotle Honey Lime Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash is a side dish I created to pair with my Mexican Spiced Pork Chops With Salsa Verde and Cotija. I am on a quest to create healthy Mexican recipes given that I have lived on the border for the past 23 years, and so much of the Mexican food available is not very healthy.
I have also discovered it is not terribly representative of what Mexicans actually eat. This dish combines very typical Mexican ingredients – lime juice and zest, ground cumin, and chipotle powder – with honey to make a sweet/spicy/savory glaze for the roasted squash. A little chopped fresh cilantro finishes it off…
Making Chipotle Honey Lime Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash
This dish takes about 10 minutes to prep (and no kitchen battle), and about 20 to 25 minutes to roast to perfection! It’s a beautiful side dish, and its gluten free, dairy free (omit cotija garnish!), and vegetarian!
- Make the glaze – Combine glaze ingredients – honey, spices, lime juice and zest – in the bowl of a small food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Prep the delicata squash – Slice off the stem, cut in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds (see ingredients shot above for reference). Slice into half moons as shown above. Drizzle the sliced squash with olive oil. Toss to coat, then arrange in a single layer on a sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash – Place squash in your preheated oven. After about 10 minutes brush with glaze. Repeat after another 10 minutes. Roast until edges begin to caramelize and delicata squash is tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- Garnish – Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and crumbled cotija as desired before serving.
Tips and Suggestions
- This glaze is versatile. Try it on roasted sweet potatoes, butternut squash, beets. What veggies do you love roasted?
- Because the glaze has honey in it, it can’t spend as much time in a hot oven without burning. That is why you wait 10 minutes to start brushing it on. If you’re doing roasted vegetable(s) that require longer roasting times, wait until the last 20 minutes or so to add the glaze.