Spicy, sweet, salty, my Easy Spiced Candied Pepitas hit all the right flavor notes, and they’re so quick and easy to make with just 5 ingredients (including the salt)! Garnish a salad, top a dessert, or eat them plain out of hand…
When I make something as simple as Easy Spiced Candied Pepitas and use them in so many different ways, I feel compelled to share the recipe as a “stand alone.” I used them recently in my Coconut Mango Custard with Candied Pepitas and the last week of May you’ll see them in my Mexican Steak and Arugula Salad with Mango and Avocado. Admittedly, these salty, sweet, spicy pepitas are pretty awesome on their own… by the handful. 🙂
You are probably aware pepitas are pumpkin seeds, right? Pepitas are so much more than a byproduct of the Halloween jack-o-lantern for those of us that attempt to minimize waste! They’re a healthy addition to your diet.
Pepitas are so easy to add to your diet! I buy them at my local Sprouts market in the bulk section. I try to keep both raw and salted and roasted pepitas. The salted and roasted pepitas are great naked as a snack or tossed into a salad.
Add ground chipotle, cinnamon, and caramelized sugar, and you may be addicted!
Making Simple Spiced Candied Pepitas (Video)
Can you think of one (or more) ways to use these Easy Spiced Candied Pepitas? They’re sure to liven up the simplest tossed salad, but don’t stop there!
- Add sugar to a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Stir until it is completely melted.
- Add the roasted pepitas, followed by the cinnamon and chipotle powders.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Scoop onto parchment or waxed paper. Salt immediately. Allow to cool completely.
- Break up the clumps with by folding the paper over, and hitting it lightly with a rolling pin.
I like raw sugar, and keep it in my pantry. White sugar works fine too.
Chipotle powder is spicy. If you're uncertain, add the smaller amount.
I use roasted, salted pepitas from Sprouts, and they don't require much salt at the end - just a few grinds. You'll want to add more if you start with unsalted.
- The Spice Way Ground Chipotle - 4 oz Resealable Bag
- Le Parfait French Glass Canning Jar with 85mm Gasket and Lid, .5 Liter (Pack of 2)
- 2LB Pumpkin Seeds Roasted Salted, Pepitas Roasted Salted Great for Healthy Snacking or Salad Toppings No Shell 2 LB - Oh! Nuts
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 97