A delicious cornmeal waffle is topped with creamy Hatch green chile and turkey sausage gravy and finished with a runny egg… Savory Cornmeal Waffles With Green Chile and Sausage Gravy is a perfect savory breakfast or brunch, but try it for dinner as well!
All in all, she felt she owed him waffles. That big waffle gesture was the only one that would do.
–Carrie Fischer, Postcards From the Edge
International Waffle Day? Yes, indeed! Våffeldagen or Waffle Day began in Sweden due to a bit of confusion over Vårfrudagen (Our Lady’s Day) held on the same day. Consequently, Swedes celebrate both “holidays” on March 25th, and welcome spring by eating lots of delicious waffles. What better reason could there be for creating – and consuming – a scrumptious new recipe for savory waffles?
March 25th found us enjoying a few days in southeastern Arizona – one of our favorite destinations during Spring Break. I had pre-packaged the dry ingredients for my Savory Cornmeal Waffles With Green Chile and Sausage Gravy prior to the trip, and managed to remember to pack our Belgian waffle iron.
After a bit of discussion with my 3rd son as to whether or not cornmeal waffles would be edible, I set to work making breakfast under the azure skies of Kartchner Caverns State Park. We plugged in the waffle iron and set it atop the picnic table. Each waffle square was topped with creamy green chile and turkey sausage gravy, and finished with a runny egg. I’m certain everything tastes better with a runny egg… 😉 If there’s a better way to start the day, tell me please! My DIL Kelsey generously exclaimed it was “quite possibly the best thing” I’ve ever made. Well, I’m not sure I’d go that far, but it was scrumptious!
If you love waffles, be sure to check out my other waffles recipes:
- Festive Christmas Waffles with Pomegranate-Blood Orange Syrup
- 25 Mostly Savory Gourmet Waffles
- Bacon & Pecan Waffles With Cinnamon-Red Chile Syrup and Orange Mascarpone
- Savory Buckwheat Waffle With Spinach, Crimini, and Caramelized Onion
I’m curious as to your thoughts on Savory Cornmeal Waffles with Green Chile and Sausage Gravy. 😀 Would you make it (or eat it) for breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? None of the above? (I’m in trouble if you answer affirmatively to the last one!)
Savory Cornmeal Waffles With Green Chile and Sausage Gravy
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups lowfat buttermilk +/-
Green Chile and Turkey Sausage Gravy
- 1/2 lb. lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup Hatch green chile chopped*
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- several grinds pepper
- 4 eggs - cooked to order we like sunny-side-up
- garnishes - cheese scallion, cilantro, avocado
Prepare the waffle batter
- Combine dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add eggs, melted butter, and buttermilk. Whisk to combine thoroughly, but do not over mix.
- Set aside, while you prepare the gravy.
Prepare the gravy
- In a medium sized sauce pan over medium high heat, break up the turkey breakfast sausage. It there is no fat in the pan when it is cooked, add about a tablespoon of olive oil or butter.
- Add the flour, stir until flour browns slightly - 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the milk, and whisk until the gravy is smooth. Allow the gravy to come to a boil. It should be creamy and thick, but not pasty.
- Add the chopped green chile, salt, and pepper. Taste it, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and stir occasionally while cooking your waffles. Add additional milk if gravy becomes too thick.
- Cook your waffles.
- Prepare eggs to order.
- Plate 1 waffle. Pour a generous ladle of gravy over top. Add egg. Garnish as desired. Enjoy!
* There is no substitute for Hatch green chile. It is available in canned and frozen in many parts of the U.S. Here in the southwest we freeze fresh chile for use all year long.
Macronutrients (approximation from MyFitnessPal.com): 464 calories; 31 g protein; 55 g carbohydrates; 13 g fat. Note: Macros are based on 1/4 of the waffle batter and 1/4 of the green chile and sausage gravy. Garnishes are not included!