A delicious savory cornmeal waffle is topped with creamy Hatch green chile and turkey sausage gravy and finished with a runny egg... Cornmeal Waffles With Green Chile Sausage Gravy is a perfect savory breakfast or brunch, but try it for dinner as well!
All in all, she felt she owed him waffles. That big waffle gesture was the only one that would do.~~ Carrie Fischer, Postcards From the Edge
International Waffle Day? Yes, indeed! Våffeldagen or Waffle Day began in Sweden due to a bit of confusion over Vårfrudagen (Our Lady's Day) held on the same day. Consequently, Swedes celebrate both "holidays" on March 25th, and welcome spring by eating lots of delicious waffles. What better reason could there be for creating - and consuming - a scrumptious new recipe for savory waffles?
👩🏻🍳 Tamara Talks - About Savory Waffles
I grew up on buttermilk waffles (or waffles made with Bisquick) topped with "pancake syrup." I did like them, but I rarely want anything sweet for breakfast as an adult. At the same time, I loved my Grandma's biscuits with sausage gravy. My idea for Cornmeal Waffles With Green Chile and Sausage Gravy was born out of my childhood, and the desire to marry the two.
My basic idea was this: Waffles are basically a quick bread cooked in a waffle iron, making them a great foundation for all kinds of toppings. While they rarely qualify as "healthy," they can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation. If I have waffles for breakfast, I simply reduce my carb intake later in the day!
The concept of savory waffles opens up all sorts of possibilities: Waffle sliders? Yum! Falafel Waffles with Artichoke Tzatziki? Yes please. Check out 25 Mostly Savory Gourmet Waffles for more ideas...
📋 Ingredients You'll Need
Here is a quick look at the ingredients in the recipe – it’s handy to use at the grocery store or as a summary of what you need. Skip to the recipe for quantities.
Savory Cornmeal Waffles
- all-purpose flour
- corn meal
- baking powder
- baking soda
- buttermilk - I use lowfat buttermilk.
Green Chile Turkey Sausage Gravy
- lean turkey breakfast sausage
- milk - I use non-dairy milk, but you can use whatever kind you like.
- Hatch green chile - I specify Hatch green chile because it is widely available. You can find it roasted, frozen, and chopped in many markets across the US, and even outside the US. Of course if you're lucky enough to have access to local roasted green chile, use it! Canned is fine if you can't get fresh or frozen. I have also roasted poblano chiles.
- salt and pepper
- garnishes - Choose your favorites! Cheese, scallion, cilantro, and avocado are great options.
- Make the batter - Add all ingredients to a prep bowl, whisk them together (don't over mix), and set aside.
- Brown the turkey sausage.
- Sprinkle the flour over the turkey sausage and stir it in. Allow it to toast a little bit.
- Add the milk. Stir it until it thickens and bubbles.
- Stir in the green chile and season.
6. Make the waffles - To finish up, keep the gravy warm, and start pouring waffles.
7. Put it all together - I love poached eggs, but sometimes don't want to mess with them. Basted eggs are my second favorite. I LOVE RUNNY YOLKS! Choose your favorite style egg, or omit them if you don't care for them... Pour a ladle of Hatch green chile sausage gravy over a waffle (or two!), and top with your favorite style egg. Enjoy!
💭 Tips and FAQ
- A potato masher makes quick work of breaking up the turkey sausage (and other ground meats).
- If gluten is a problem, I have substituted Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour with great success!
- If dairy is a problem, I often use So Delicious Coconut Creamer in so many dishes.
- You can use any roasted and chopped green chile in the gravy. I no longer live in New Mexico, but I can get roasted and chopped Bueno Green Chile at my local market in the freezer section. Canned chile is fine too. You can substitute roasted and chopped poblanos and Anaheims as well.
- Any leftover cornmeal waffles can be frozen and popped into the toaster.
I'm curious as to your thoughts on Savory Waffles with Green Chile Sausage Gravy. 😀 Would you make it (or eat it) for breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? None of the above? (I'm in trouble if you answer affirmatively to the last one!)
Savory Cornmeal Waffles
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup corn meal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ stick butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups lowfat buttermilk +/-
Green Chile Turkey Sausage Gravy
- ½ lb. lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 ¼ cups 2% milk
- ½ cup Hatch green chile, chopped*
- ½ tsp. salt
- several grinds pepper
- 6 eggs - cooked to order, we like sunny-side-up
- garnishes - cheese, scallion, cilantro, avocado
Prepare the waffle batter
- Combine dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add eggs, melted butter, and buttermilk. Whisk to combine thoroughly, but do not over mix.
- Set aside, while you prepare the gravy.
Prepare the gravy
- In a medium sized sauce pan over medium high heat, break up the turkey breakfast sausage. It there is no fat in the pan when it is cooked, add about a tablespoon of olive oil or butter.
- Add the flour, stir until flour browns slightly - 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the milk, and whisk until the gravy is smooth. Allow the gravy to come to a boil. It should be creamy and thick, but not pasty.
- Add the chopped green chile, salt, and pepper. Taste it, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and stir occasionally while cooking your waffles. Add additional milk if gravy becomes too thick.
- Cook your waffles.
- Prepare eggs to order.
- Plate 1 waffle. Pour a generous ladle of gravy over top. Add egg. Garnish as desired. Enjoy!
* There is no substitute for Hatch green chile. It is available in canned and frozen in many parts of the U.S. Here in the southwest we freeze fresh chile for use all year long. Try substituting Anaheim or poblano, roasted and chopped.
I added 10 minutes under "Varies" to account for different waffle makers.
Macronutrients (approximation from MyFitnessPal.com): 464 calories; 31 g protein; 55 g carbohydrates; 13 g fat. Note: Macros are based on ¼ of the waffle batter and ¼ of the green chile and sausage gravy. Garnishes are not included!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 13gCarbohydrates: 55gProtein: 31g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate. I enter ingredients in MyFitnessPal.com.