Spicy Air Fryer Tofu Tacos feature extra firm tofu coated with taco seasoning and crisped up in your air fryer, then wrapped in warm corn tortillas. Topped with your favorite fresh salsa, creamy avocados, and salty queso fresco, these tacos are a healthy, vegetarian option you’ll want to add to your taco repertoire! #TacoTuesday
👩🏻🍳 Tamara Talks – About Vegetarian Tacos
If you’ve followed me for awhile, you know how I love tacos, and many are pretty unique (like Irish tacos and Indian tacos). I have tacos with polarizing ingredients like oyster tacos and lengua tacos.
In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint, I do try to practice #MeatlessMonday (it doesn’t always work out with my schedule). Small changes add up! One thing I always consider when planning plant-based meals is whether it has sufficient protein. I’m looking for at least 15 grams of protein in our main meal of the day.
The high level of protein makes tofu an excellent alternative to animal-derived protein. Half a cup of tofu has only 181 calories, and 21 grams of protein. See Clearing Up Questions on Whether Tofu is Healthy for more information.
Taco “recipes” are really more of a template. I chose to pair the spicy tofu with my corn and black bean salsa to boost the protein. You may have a salsa that you prefer, and that’s totally fine. It doesn’t have to be homemade.😉
📋 Ingredient Notes
Here is a quick look at the ingredients in the recipe – it’s handy to use at the grocery store or as a summary of what you need. Skip to the recipe for quantities.
Spicy Air Fryer Tofu
Note: For the best results, allow 15-30 minutes to press the tofu before cubing. I typically make the salsa while the tofu is pressed and then cooked. I always save the avocados for last so they don’t oxidize.
- extra firm tofu – Cooking cubes of tofu requires tofu be extra firm and pressed to remove as much moisture as possible. I would NOT RECOMMEND using anything less firm. You can press the tofu with clean, absorbent towels and a heavy cast iron skillet. After years of doing it that way, I got a tofu press for myself, and I love it! You’ll see it in the photos below.
- olive oil – I recommend olive oil (healthy fat). You can use what you prefer. It doesn’t have to have a high smoke point.
- taco seasoning – I highly recommend my gourmet taco seasoning blend, but you can find some good quality taco seasoning blends that aren’t loaded with additives and preservatives like this taco seasoning. You might like this homemade tajín or this Mexican mole spice blend.
Tofu Tacos Fixings
These are the toppings and tortillas we love for these tofu tacos. Please be creative, and make them your own!
- tortillas – I rarely use flour tortillas as I prefer the taste and texture of corn tortillas. Additionally, corn tortillas provide whole grains, fiber, and fewer calories and fat. If you adore flour tortillas, and are concerned about the calories/nutrients, I have found some low carb and higher fiber soft flour tortillas that are pretty darn good. What’s the Difference Between Corn and Flour Tortillas?
- salsa – My choice of salsa for tofu tacos is “hands-down” this corn and black bean salsa (I don’t always grill the corn!). Whenever I’m cooking vegetarian, I look for ingredients that bump up the protein. You’ll get additional protein with the black bean salsa, and the flavor combination is great. Make it vegan by skipping the cheese or substituting a vegan cheese. With the sliced avocado, you’re not likely to miss the cheese.
- cheese – I have used both aged cotija and queso fresco. I think I lean towards the queso fresco, but they’re both really good. I’m really not a fan of cheddar (unless it’s sharp) or jack, but the choice is yours.
- avocado – I don’t think I ever make tacos without avocado… Irish tacos and Indian street tacos would be the exception.
- extras – Every good taco benefits from fresh garnishes! We like chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
🔪 Air Fryer Tofu Taco Instructions
- Press the tofu – Press the tofu for 30 minutes, either with a press (as per instructions) or between absorbent towels with a heavy skillet or other weight on top. NOTE: While I press the tofu, I make the salsa and prepare the toppings and garnishes.
- Prepare the tofu – In a medium size bowl place the pressed and cubed tofu. Add the olive oil, and toss to coat. Add the taco seasoning, and toss to coat. NOTE: Try to distribute evenly, but don’t worry about missing a few spots!
- Add tofu to the air fryer – After spraying the racks with cooking spray, arrange the spicy tofu cubes in a single layer. DO NOT CROWD THEM. You can always do a second batch. Set the air fryer to 400°.
- Cook the spicy tofu – Total cooking time is roughly 10-15 minutes depending on your air fryer. Shake or use tongs to move them around at about 7 minutes. Tofu cooks quickly, so keep an eye on them. You don’t want to burn them!
- When the tofu is finished, you can leave it in the air fryer to stay warm, or you can put it in a bowl to serve. It really doesn’t have to be warm…
- Assemble tacos – Warm tortillas by your preferred method. Set out bowls of ingredients. Starting with the tofu, pile on those fresh toppings and enjoy!
Yes. You can store it in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 375° for best results. My husband took it for lunch with the remaining black bean and corn salsa. He kept them separate until he got ready to eat, then tossed them together. He really liked it!
Yes. you can put them in the oven at 400 degrees, and turn while they bake.
Don’t worry about serving the crispy air fryer tofu hot. Room temperature works just fine. Enjoy the process of preparing these tofu tacos, then enjoy them!
Tofu comes in a variety of sizes. The packages of extra firm tofu I buy range from 14-16 ounces. This may or may not affect your number of servings. Regardless, I think you can reasonably serve 3. If you have a 16 ounce package, you may serve 4.
Whether you practice #MeatlessMonday, or exclusively follow a plant-based diet, you’re sure to enjoy these air fryer tofu tacos! They’re healthy, well-balanced, gluten free, and delicious!
Spicy Air Fryer Tofu Tacos
Click to rate!
Spicy Air Fryer Tofu
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning - see Ingredients in post for options
- ½ teaspoon sea salt - if taco seasoning is "low sodium" you may want to add
- spicy air fryer tofu - serves 3 or 4
- corn tortillas - 3 per person
- corn and black bean salsa - or other salsa
- queso fresco - small dice
- chopped cilantro and lime wedges - to garnish
- Press the tofu for 30 minutes, either with a press (as per instructions) or between absorbent towels with a heavy skillet or other weight on top.
- Cut the tofu into 3/4" cubes +/-. In a medium size bowl place the cubed tofu. Add the olive oil, and toss to coat. Add the taco seasoning, and toss to coat.
- Spray the racks of your air fryer with cooking spray. Arrange the tofu cubes in a single layer. Set the air fryer to 400°.
- Air fry the tofu 10-15 minutes, shaking or moving after about 7 minutes.
- Warm tortillas by your preferred method. Assemble tacos. Enjoy!
NOTE: Macronutrients are an approximation only using unbranded ingredients and MyFitnessPal.com. Please do your own research with the products you’re using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.