Avocado Lime Crema with Yogurt is a lightened up healthy crema for tacos and so much more. Yogurt and low fat buttermilk stand in for sour cream or Mexican crema, and the result is fewer calories with all of the flavor of a traditional avocado crema recipe!
👩🏻🍳 Tamara Talks – Avocado Lime Crema Inspiration
Have you ever had Mexican crema? It’s kind of a cross between crème fraîche and sour cream. Crema is a little less acidic than sour cream, not as thick, and is a whopping 30% fat compared to sour cream’s 20%!
I have been working on a bison tacos recipe, and after incorporating healthy, lean ground bison into a tacos recipe, I didn’t want to then add toppings that are fat and calorie laden.
Given the very lean nature of the ground bison and lean chorizo meat mixture, I felt a saucy, creamy topping was a good choice. Additionally, I’ve used this basic combination of ingredients in so many of our favorite recipes like Mexican grilled sea bass and these savory pancakes. You’ll find an exhaustive list of recipes to use this healthier avocado crema on at the bottom of the post.
On photo day, I kept the avocado crema fairly thick as it makes eating tacos less messy. I specify 1/4 to 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk so that the recipe can be adjusted to suit.
📋 Ingredients Notes
Here is a quick look at the ingredients in the recipe – it’s handy to use at the grocery store or as a summary of what you need. Skip to the recipe for quantities.
- avocados – Choose ripe, but not soft avocados. If they’re small, you’ll want 2 of them. I can get small, medium, and large, and I’ll use 1 large or 2 small.
- fresh limes – If the lime is juicy, 1 is plenty. If not, squeeze another half. Please don’t use bottled juice!
- fresh garlic
- shallot – Red onion is a fine substitute. You want about 1 tablespoon minced.
- low fat buttermilk – This ingredient determines the thickness of your crema, so it’s flexible!
- plain yogurt – I use nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and adjust the thickness of the crema with the buttermilk. You can, however, use regular yogurt (which is thinner), and use less buttermilk.
- fresh cilantro
- Process the crema ingredients – Add all ingredients to the bowl of the processor.
- Purée until smooth and creamy. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
This condiment or salsa is best used fresh, but it has lime juice in it, and will be good the next day if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This avocado lime crema recipe finds its way into our menu planning year ’round. If you can get avocados, you’re probably good to go. The other ingredients should be available year ’round.
Avocado Lime Crema with Yogurt
Click to rate!
- 2 small avocados - or 1 large; skin and pit removed
- 1 shallot - cut in fourths
- 1 juicy lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves - thin stems are fine!
- ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt - regular yogurt is fine; adjust buttermilk
- ¼ cup lowfat buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- several grind pepper
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Garnish and enjoy!
NOTE: Macronutrients are an approximation only using unbranded ingredients and MyFitnessPal.com. Please do your own research with the products you’re using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.