Savory Chorizo Cornbread Waffles - with chorizo, cheese, and scallions - are loaded with bold Mexican flavor. Topped with your favorite style egg, this healthyish dish makes a tasty breakfast or brunch, but we love it for dinner too!
Admittedly, waffles do not qualify as "healthy." However, I submit that they can be "healthyish" or "decadent." I have a decadent waffle recipe (or two) on this blog! 😳
I have always loved waffles... As a girl, we'd have a "big breakfast" that included waffles, eggs, and sausage or bacon. Occasionally we had "breakfast for dinner." That was a special treat.
As I got older, and became more health conscious, waffles almost disappeared from our diets. My sweet husband really suffered, as they're one of his favorite foods!
The pendulum swings? At some point, I became aware of the importance of macronutrients, and aimed for a balance of protein, healthy fats, and moderate carbohydrates. I no longer focus as much on the calories or "macros" of one particular dish; I tend to look at an overall daily count. This approach works for us, and gives us the flexibility to include foods that we had been excluding.
That adjustment means waffles are once again an occasional part of our healthy diet. You may remember I'm not much of a sweets eater? 25 Mostly Savory Waffles has been one of my top 5 posts for almost 4 years. If you LOVE WAFFLES like I do, you will want to check them out!
How to Make Savory Chorizo Cornbread Waffles
- Prepare the waffle batter - Combine the dry ingredients; combine the wet ingredients. Whisk them together (but don't overmix).
- Cook the chorizo - Brown the chorizo in a sauté pan. If it's a non-stick, you can probably use it to cook your eggs. I like to use a potato masher to break up the chorizo.
- Chop the scallions and grate the cheese.
- Fold the chorizo, scallions, and cheese into the waffle batter.
- Pour into waffle iron - Cook until golden brown. Ours requires 4-6 minutes.
- Top with garnishes - Eggs cooked to order, sliced or diced avocado, chopped cilantro, thin-sliced jalapeños, more chopped scallions...
Tips and FAQ
I don't have buttermilk. Is there a substitute? Yes! Check out Taste of Home's Buttermilk Substitute.
How do I know how much batter to pour in my waffle iron? Every waffle iron is different. I use a ladle and pour a ladle full into each section of my Belgian waffle iron. I'm
obviously not concerned about a perfect shape as shown in the photos! I do find the ladle is a helpful tool!
Can I freeze my leftover waffles? YES!!! My husband adores pulling 1 square waffle out of the freezer for a quick snack. Stick it in your toaster, and top as desired... or just eat it plain!
- Full disclosure: I will definitely have 2 of these savory chorizo cornbread waffles with 1 egg. I typically make basted eggs, but they don't look as pretty in photos as poached! Please choose your favorite. FYI: With the protein and calories in the waffles, 1 egg should be adequate.
Do you enjoy a leisurely weekend breakfast or brunch? We certainly do! Savory waffles and these chorizo grits are 2 of my favorites... I'd love to hear about yours!